Elche City Council has received the Revitalization Program of Urban Shopping Centers 2016, developed by the Chambers of Commerce and the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness within the framework of the comprehensive plan of the Support for Competitiveness of Commerce Plan, consisting in the identification and promoting of trade on the tourism route in each participating city.
In particular, the project -funded by the Chamber of Commerce of Alicante- has the target of creating a tourism product in the historic downtown of Elche, based on the so-called "ruta monumental", signaling the streets of the area where most of the shoe, fashion and accessories shops are. The aim is to promote the shopping area among the tourists that are visiting the most important monuments of the city, enhancing their vision of Elche as an attractive city for shopping.
Click on the pin of the shop or choose the category of commerce you would like to get information on from the following:
The Monumental Route starts at the Centre de Visitants, offering a spectacular audiovisual about the city. It is situated in the Municipal Park made up by the ancientor chards known as la Mare de Déu, del Xocolater, del Colomer, de Baix and del Real. Most of them belong to the Blessed Virgin Mary, thanks to anentailment of the estate dared in the 16th century by Dr. Nicolau Caro and given on a lease to the town council. It began to be changed into a garden in the mid 20th c, gathering together a great variety of botanical species and interesting buildings such as the Molí del Real, a mediaeval flour mill, moved bywaterfromtheMajorIrrigation Canal, irrigating the palm groves. Anamusingoptionistotake a rideontheTourist Train, whichwilltakeyouthroughthepalmgrove and thecity centre.
LeavingtheParc Municipal tothePasseig de l’Estació (avenue) youwillfindtheEspaid’Artd´Elx (Elx Art Space), an open air exhibition of contemporary sculptures . The Tourist Info buildingis at theend of the avenue. Itisan Islamic influence building from the mid-20th c., thesamestyle of theVisitors Centre building. You will find here all the necessary information for your visit.
VISITOR´S CENTRE AND MUNICIPAL PARK
Bordering the Municipal Park we walk throught here mains of the Muslim Almohade Walls, recently restored, and modern and refreshing fountains with spectacular and attractive night lighting games.
In the background of these fountains, and fully integrated in thepark’sscenery, the Lord’s Fortress, residence for the lords of the city between the 15th and 19th centuries.
Three different phases can be distinguished in the building. The Muslim Almohade (11th to thee arly 13th centuries) can be observed in the first body of the great tower and some foundations. The work carried out in the 15th and 16th centuries, the actual fortress main period, was raised after the estate was bes to wed to Gutierre de Cárdenas. Lastly, the great southern façade, dated in the 18th century, hides the original media evalgate. The Elx Archaeological and History Museum (MAHE) issituated bothindoors the fortress and in a neighbouring and well connected space above the underground multi-storey car park.
THE LORD´S FORTRES / ALTAMIRA PALACE / MAHE
BASILICA OF SAINT MARY
Crossing the street from the fortress and the Congrés Eucarístic Square, were ach the Basilica of Saint Mary, site of the mosque when the town was conquered by King James I of Aragon, in 1265.
The present building was started in 1672 by Francesc Verde. Many other architects left their markhere until works were finished in 1784.
The different styles can be followed, ranging from a first attempt of going over a not decorated style to the pures tneoclassic, passing the decorative Italian inspiration baroque of the Assumption façade, one of the finest in Valencia nbaroque. Both this façade and the Saint Agatangel front are due to the Strasbourg sculptor, Nicolas de Bussi (1680-1682). The Misterid’Elx, a mediaeval play declare dan Oral and Intangible World Heritage masterpiece by the UNESCO in 2001, takes place here. From the Communion gate (opposite the Calaforra Tower) you can enter the Museu de la Mare de Déu de l’Assumpció (MUMAPE) dedicated to the Elx’spatronsaint: The Lady of theAssumption, and to the image’s richheritage, made up of the people of Elx’s donations.
MLA FESTA MUSEUM AND HERMITAGE OF SANT SEBASTIÀ
We are now walking on the Major de la Vila street, the medieval High Street in the Walled Town, where we’ll stop at the Saint Sebastian Hermitage façade, originally a go thic church. This is the place when cet he cortègeleavesa ccompany ing the Blessed Virgin Mary to start the performance of the Mystery Play. Nowadays, it is a part of the Museu Municipal de la Festa, the local name for the Elx Mystery Play. A stimulating and virtual audio-visual tour on the world of this medieval religious performance is offered here.
Next door, we have the ancient Hospital of Charity, built in the 14th c. by the council, Consell de la Vila d’Elx, used as suchuntil the 16th c., when it became a Renais sancestyle lordly mansion. It is now thesee of the Board of Trustees of the Elx Mystery Play and includes the Rehears al Rooms of the Elx Mystery Play Chapel Choir.
TOWN HALL AND CALENDURA TOWER
At the end of the Major de la Vila street and after crossing the Market you’ll be just behind the got hicarch of the Casa de la Vila, the Town Hall. It is the oldest town hall still in use in the south of the land of Valencia since the Town Council holds its meetings here since 1445. Thes malllodgeor ancient Commercial Exchange, in go thicstyle, is dated in 1441.
In 1548, Sebastià Alcaràs enlarged the building, rising the tower and crowning it with a high gallery. In 1645 a new eastern wing wasadded where there werehouses leaning on the town’swalls and,
in 1790, José Gonzálvez de Coniedo unified openings and walls, endowing them with a baroque style.
Next to the Town Hall arises the Calendura Tower, anautomaton clock built by Alonso Gaytán in 1572. The mechanismconsists in two figures, named in 1759 as Miquel Calendura, greater in size and chiming the hours, and Vicentet Calendureta, smaller in size, chiming the quarters.
JORGE JUAN´S PALACE
The decorated tiles are one of the out standing features of this Baroque building, a palace made up of three floors, its architecture forms are finished in white. It is located outside the citywalls, and is currently home to local shops and offices.
The square known as Passeig de les Eres de Santa Llúcia is next to the Calaforra tower, and it is here that you’ll find the Convent of our Lady of Mercy. The Mercedarians founded it in the 13th c. There have been sever alre forms in the 18th and 19th centuries. It keeps a transition Gothic-Renaissance church. The most important elements are the façade known as Santa Llúcia, fully Renaissance, and a cloister from the 18th century.
In the convent’scellar, the Arabbath shave been restored. This Muslimmonument dates from the second half of the 12th century. It was out side the Walled Town, near the Lucentina or Alacant road. It consists in three vaulted parallel naves, stucco ed with geometrica linterlacingarches.
CONVENT OF OUR LADY OF MERCY AND ARABIC BATH
THE CALAHORRA TOWER
After visiting the Museu del Palmerar we go back along the Almòrida street to the Glorieta square and continue up the Ample street. At the end of the street, we find the impressive Calaforra, an Islamic Almohade Tower from the late 12th century and early 13th century. Very few such tower shave reached the present day in the Valencian Community. It was a defensive building, which was used to watch people entering the city from Alicante.
For more information: visitelche.com
Ana Filardi zapatos
Calzados El Cid
Sara Mawen zapatos
Las Manolitas complementos
Diviniti by Andrea
El Armario de Carlitos
Fran Rivera atelier
Happy junior infantil
La Alcudia Moda
Le Petit Monde
Little Kings moda
Pick & Roll
Pilar Checa infantil
César Girón peluquería
Kiko make up milano
Oh my cut!
Vitra centro de belleza
BARS AND RESTAURANTS
Mar i Merlot
New irish pub
Restaurante Taperia Elche
Tejidos el Trébol